Friday, May 31, 2013

Rule #4

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." ~ Wayne Gretzky
"Why are you making me hold this envelope?" ~ my daughter

Remember Heinlein's rule number four?
"You must put the work on the market."

I've been trying to keep it simple: Keep working, keep trying to get better, and keep sending stories out there. And now, all of a sudden, I have a spate of forthcoming stories! This is no overnight success story. I got serious about writing again in 2011 and have been writing and revising and sending stories out ever since. What has kept me going for nearly three years has been the process of constantly creating new work. Of course, acceptances and publications are the goal. I can't wait to see these stories out in the world and to hear what people think of them - hot, cold, and lukewarm. But, I also feel that getting published is the frosting on the cake. The cake is the work. The work is the constant and truly it's own reward.

The Horses will be appearing in Every Day Fiction in June. I like this webzine at least as much as Daily Science Fiction. Every Day Fiction is less genre bound, so there is always a good variety of stories, and they're always under a thousand words.


Futile the Winds will be appearing in Interzone - tentatively slated for their July issue (247)! This, for all intents and purposes, is my first professional sale. It will be the first time my work will be in a non-on-demand print publication, available on newsstands and in bookstores! And what a gorgeous publication it is, as you can see by the cover of the current issue. I cannot wait to see the artwork for my story.



Cattle Futures is slated to appear in Stupefying Stories special Wild Weird West Anthology, tentatively scheduled for release in July.


Beata Beatrix will be appearing in Bourbon Penn (another gorgeous zine), hopefully in their next issue.



I'll post with links as the individual stories become available. Until then, back to work restocking the inventory! I'll leave you with the thought that's been going through my head this week:

No comments:

Post a Comment