Thursday, April 25, 2013

Stomach Bug and the Day After Recipies

damnable little creatures!
Over the last seven days or so, a stomach bug has been marching through our family. My oldest daughter had it last week and my youngest got it on Sunday. I fell to it on Tuesday and hubby's just recovering today. I had started a more writing related post over the weekend but abandoned it, so that I could lay on the couch with a wet washcloth on my head. I took a sick day from writing and the kitchen. Luckily my girls channeled their inner street urchin on Tuesday and rummaged through the refrigerator  to assemble their own dinner of scraps and leftovers. Yesterday I was ready to cook again. The weather was cool, and this being Texas it's probably the last cool day we'll get until November. The temperature paired with my tender (and very empty) stomach, made me think of one of my favorite dinners. Bonus, the girls love it too!

Back to writing - and writing related blog posts - next time, for now here's what I made for dinner and how to make it.



Potato Leek Soup

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pot,
add 2 to 3 cloves minced garlic, and then
add about 2 pounds leeks (usually about 2-4 leeks. Cut off the tough upper third of the leaves,  cut the bottoms in half lengthwise and run under water to clean, then slice thinly.),
add a little minced fresh thyme,
add salt to taste.
Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft.
Add 1 pound gold potatoes (the mini ones come in a handy 1 lb bag), chopped (I leave the skins on for extra texture and vitamins.),
add 6 cups chicken broth and
a dash of white pepper.
Bring to a boil and let simmer until the potatoes are tender (about half an hour).
Turn off the heat and blend with a hand mixer,
add 1/2 cup of yogurt (I use whole milk White Mountain Bulgarian Yogurt) and blend again.
Pour into bowls and garnish with a few thyme leaves.

Bread is always good on a tender stomach and I often make popovers to go with soup. They are easy to make, a family favorite, and help use up our surplus eggs.



Popovers

Preheat oven to 425F,
Grease a 12 muffin tin,
in a mixing bowl with a spout or a large measuring cup, mix 1 cup baking flour, and
3/4 teaspoon salt.
Blend in 1 cup milk with a wire whisk,
then blend in three eggs - one at a time.
Add in a couple tablespoons of any extras. In our case it was dill and poppy seeds. (sesame seeds are good too or Parmesan cheese...).
Pour batter into cups. They should only be one half to one third full!
Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes,
then reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.


Ahhh!


No comments:

Post a Comment